ClamAV again

Information about this forum

Moderators: Pascal, oanasutoiu, mentor, stephane, jorge, JohnMertz, bourgeois

wolfsden3
How did you hear about Mailcleaner: ServerFault Forum

ClamAV again

Post by wolfsden3 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:37 am

I'm sure there's lots of discussion about ClamAV but I have yet another question as I dig into smoothing out the rough edges on my MailCleaner installation.

On your git (https://github.com/MailCleaner/MailClea ... _clamav.sh) I see it says:

Code: Select all

echo -n " installing clamav binaries packages...";
aptitude install mc-clamav &> /dev/null
Why use "mc-clamav" instead of just using clamav? The reason I ask is if I run a freshclam:

/opt/clamav/bin/freshclam --config-file=/usr/mailcleaner/etc/clamav/freshclam.conf
I get an "error" that says:

ClamAV update process started at Mon Jun  4 23:18:43 2018
WARNING: Your ClamAV installation is OUTDATED!
WARNING: Local version: 0.99.2 Recommended version: 0.100.0
DON'T PANIC! Read http://www.clamav.net/documents/upgrading-clamav
main.cvd is up to date (version: 58, sigs: 4566249, f-level: 60, builder: sigmgr)
daily.cld is up to date (version: 24633, sigs: 1975810, f-level: 63, builder: neo)
bytecode.cvd is up to date (version: 319, sigs: 75, f-level: 63, builder: neo)
So...it would seem that the binary is out of date. I'm not 100% certain what the difference between 0.99.2 and 0.100.0 is but I'd like to be running the "latest" version if possible.

Is it possible to just modify that script to use clamav rather than mc-clamav...? What's special about mc-clamav?

Then regular updates to the clamav binary could be kept more up to date UNLESS you have a newer more up to date mc-clamav that can get updated via a cron or update process.

Thanks
FlorianB
How did you hear about Mailcleaner: Worked for MC

Re: ClamAV again

Post by FlorianB » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:47 pm

Hello wolfsden3,
All main software package composing the MailCleaner engine are package compiled by MC Team to have control on path used (not standard paths here) and the configuration to use. They come and/or are made to work with script embedded in MailCleaner like /etc/init.d scripts.
But as you noticed it has a backdraw as these package need times to be re-tested and adapted each time a major version is out.
I have no simple solution to allow scanning with a newer version here...
Regards,
FlorianB
rawie
How did you hear about Mailcleaner: using search engine

Post by rawie » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:07 am

Hello Florianb,

just new to MailcleanerCE I am facing the same issue. Digging a bit around it seems to me that the major problem is more to deal with the actual signatures rather than the latest clamav release.
So the situation is actually running an outdated clamav wth no longer supported/loadable signature files. As a result I am using a scanner that is not able to work (at all?).

Do you have any suggestions to overcome these problems?

Fully understanding your comments on building the MC-CE-package, I guess that there must be many users who are in the same situation?!

Thx for your answers and suggestions
Ralf
rapit
How did you hear about Mailcleaner: friend

Post by rapit » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:16 am

Same here...

"ClamAV daemon : critical"

WARNING: Local version: 0.99.2 Recommended version: 0.100.1
WARNING: Local version: 0.99.2 Recommended version: 0.100.1
ERROR: Can't download main.cvd from database.clamav.net
ERROR: Can't download main.cvd from database.clamav.net
Giving up on database.clamav.net...
Giving up on database.clamav.net...
Update failed. Your network may be down or none of the mirrors listed in /usr/mailcleaner/etc/clamav/freshclam.conf is working. Check http://www.clamav.net/doc/mirrors-faq.html for possible reasons.
Update failed. Your network may be down or none of the mirrors listed in /usr/mailcleaner/etc/clamav/freshclam.conf is working. Check http://www.clamav.net/doc/mirrors-faq.html for possible reasons.
[2018-08-05 00:00:12] Network error, not able to download data now,retrying later...
[2018-08-05 00:00:12] Done.
lgomesd
How did you hear about Mailcleaner: work

Post by lgomesd » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:48 pm

Same erro for me.
FlorianB

Post by FlorianB » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:17 pm

Hello,
About people with an error of mirror for clamav, you should check the folder where signatures are installed (I don't remember it to be honest)
Then you can remove at least tmp folders and a file called mirror.dat if i remember correctly.
After this try to re-update by using the same command than MailCleaner (specifying the freshclam.conf), it should do the trick.
Regards,
FlorianB
rapit
How did you hear about Mailcleaner: friend

Post by rapit » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:19 am

Hi Florian,

Thanks for the reply!
i am not really used to cli or ssh so it sounds like a good plan but i have no idea about the commands to get there :)
can you please write in detail how i can get to the temp file, delete it and then update the freshclam.conf or can i just update everything with updater4mc.sh or apt-get update && apt-get upgrade

thanks! learning a lot lately lol
FlorianB

Post by FlorianB » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:00 pm

Hello,
Sadly I don't remember exact path and I don't have MC to test it but I suppose (hope) someone using it could copy exact path and filename.
Globally here:
login to the shell, then:

cd /var/mailcleaner/spool/clamav
rm -rf mirror.dat
/usr/mailcleaner/etc/init.d/clamd restart
Hope it will help !
Regards,
FlorianB