State of Image Spam and the rate of spam

Talk about anything...

Moderators: FlorianB, Pascal, bourgeois, mentor

mmiller

State of Image Spam and the rate of spam

Postby mmiller » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:47 pm

I was reading on /. this weekend about the recent up swing of spam traffic. The story indicates that the spamers ( People who send SPAM ) have re-grouped and have a new game plan. Have any of you seen any new spam methods that are new? I did see one message today that was not really new. Are any of you seeing image based spam with news story's or screen scrapes of text off of random websites?
olivier

Postby olivier » Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:27 pm

the latest patch includes the latest version of OCR engines.
it includes three of them, along with the latest FuzzyOCR plugin.
This solution is really efficient agains these image spam, and does a pretty good job.
With only a few customization for your trafic it should catch almost 100% of them.
mmiller

Image Spam

Postby mmiller » Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:20 am

I think image spam is not as big of a problem. I know it was not looking good after the spamers changed the images to put the colored lines behind the words. I know there is some fool working on defeating image OCR scanning. I just got hit with a large ammount of mail. Nothing mailcleaner could not handle. The thing that concerns me is the ammount of traffic that was going though the machine. Again nothing mailcleaner could not handle.

Thanks

Return to “General Discussion”