How to add a Exim SPF Check Exception

Want some informations on MailCleaner internals ?

Moderators: Pascal, mentor, FlorianB, bourgeois

ValeruS
How did you hear about Mailcleaner: googling

How to add a Exim SPF Check Exception

Postby ValeruS » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:51 pm

Hello.
I need to add SPF exception at smtp level.

Domain have an SPF registration in DNS ("v=spf1 include:spf.protection.outlook.com -all")
Sender address(IP) for this domain is the IP not included in SPF address(network:216.12.x.x)

We sent a letter(email) to support at this domain, where indicated the problem occurred:
H=(xxx.local) [216.12.x.x] X=TLSv1:DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA:256 F=<donotreply@domain.ltd> rejected RCPT
<name@mydomain.ltd>: 216.12.x.x is not allowed to send mail from domain.ltd (SPF failure)

The answer that I got from support is that they will not make any changes at this time.
olivier

Re: How to add a Exim SPF Check Exception

Postby olivier » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:52 pm

hello,

Configuration -> SMTP -> SMTP checks -> Don't check these hosts.
You will be able to add hosts that will not be checked against SPF (not domains), such as the one you are having issues with.

However please note that their SPF is in strict mode, explicitly asking any receiving server to refuse messages not coming from the listed servers. Either it is a real issue on their configuration, either the message sender is not respecting their policy (or it might be someone faking some user).
So use this with care. I do hope the administrators of this domain know what they are doing with this SPF record which will block them at many places (and some huge such as gmail or hotmail).
ValeruS
How did you hear about Mailcleaner: googling

Re: How to add a Exim SPF Check Exception

Postby ValeruS » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:32 am

Thanks for replay, olivier.

Return to “Questions”