SMTP whitelist (and blacklist)

New features and ideas to improve MailCleaner

Moderators: Pascal, mentor, FlorianB, bourgeois

Bookworm
How did you hear about Mailcleaner: Web search through forums

SMTP whitelist (and blacklist)

Postby Bookworm » Thu May 14, 2015 9:07 am

I can do this with Postfix, but the Exim system doesn't appear to be quite as flexible, especially with the mailcleaner GUI interface.

Under Configuration --> SMTP, I can see the need for _two_ whitelists.

The first under Reverse DNS checks. There are still a lot of idiots out there that slap down an Exchange server and start sending (and receiving) email without setting up reverse DNS. It's against RFC, and it's stupid - but they do it. Being able to whitelist the five out of 190 in an afternoon that are 'legitimate' mail servers would be nice. (or just domains).

The second under Connections.

I already have 'Reject these sender addresses' with the following list.

*@*.work
*@*.eu
*@*.club
*@*.pw
*@*.science
*@*.info

---
The problem is that I've seen hundreds of 'bad' domains in .eu, but I've still seen two or three 'good' ones. Being able to allow _that_ one domain in, while rejecting the bulk class of the TLD, would be very helpful.

I'm not suggesting that the whitelist should be a get out of jail free card - just a 'pass it through to the next test, don't reject instantly'.

BW
CCGTECH
How did you hear about Mailcleaner: open source community

Re: SMTP whitelist (and blacklist)

Postby CCGTECH » Wed May 20, 2015 3:59 am

I don't permit improperly configured mail servers through MC. If someone doesn't have their server(s) configured correctly, I tell them what is wrong and how to fix it. Copying the CEO or CFO on an email like that when contacting the mail admin usually yields good results.
Bookworm

Postby Bookworm » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:02 pm

I've found that most people won't fix the servers. If another server rejects the email, that's not THEIR problem, it's the fault of the vendor (the receiver).

The crying and whining I constantly get about "I have to have this email, it's critical!" is unbelievable. "If it's so important, then why won't they pay for a properly configured server?"
CCGTECH
How did you hear about Mailcleaner: open source community

Postby CCGTECH » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:48 pm

For a few clients I setup a similar domain name and aliases for their mailboxes. Then, I configured a dedicated node for that domain and permit only email from the "whitelist" of improperly configured servers. I have the same problem as you do with a few clients. The client's contact must use the dedicated email address to get mail through the system, but the node will not accept mail from anyone else. works rather well in my case.
Bookworm

Postby Bookworm » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:31 pm

There's not a chance in Hades or Tartarus to get my customers to do that. That would require actually taking some sort of responsibility for it, rather than the easy way of yelling at me.

I still feel that a whitelist is a necessity. Yes, there are going to be people that depend on it, but then you have folks like me - I want to get that email in, and while that's happening, I'll contact the maintainers of the faulty machine and work with them on actually fixing the problem.

I know that at one point, our upstream deleted our reverse DNS pointer. It wasn't anything I did - they did it on their own, and it took a couple of days to fix.

Return to “Features request”