Ability to bulk-delete emails from the spools

New features and ideas to improve MailCleaner

Moderators: FlorianB, Pascal, bourgeois, mentor

Pentangle
How did you hear about Mailcleaner: Googling

Ability to bulk-delete emails from the spools

Postby Pentangle » Wed May 22, 2013 5:07 pm

As the title says - in order to quickly clear (from the GUI) a bunch of emails from the spool in order that the screen doesn't need to be refreshed every time (which, on a heavily-loaded server can mean a lot of screen timeouts caused by the emails you're trying to delete!)
Pentangle
How did you hear about Mailcleaner: Googling

Re: Ability to bulk-delete emails from the spools

Postby Pentangle » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:15 pm

I would reiterate this. It's been a feature of 2012.6 and also a feature in 2013.7 that whenever you have a list of email to delete from the spools you can hit the dustbin icon on average once before it says "Timed out" and refreshes the screen. My record of clicking dustbins is 4 before it refreshes, but when you've got 1000+ emails to delete it's a real annoyance.
toothycardus
How did you hear about Mailcleaner: Google

Postby toothycardus » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:16 pm

I know this doesn't fix the issue (which i would like too), but you could deleted the files out of the spool folder @ /var/mailcleaner/spool/exim_stage
del
How did you hear about Mailcleaner: google

Postby del » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:46 pm

NEVER delete files in the spool.
You may want to read this: http://bradthemad.org/tech/notes/exim_cheatsheet.php

You can find the exim tools in /opt/exim4/bin/ and may have to use option -C /usr/mailcleaner/etc/exim/EXIMSTAGECONFIGFILE -OPTIONS

EDIT: Read especially this:
If you are deleting these files directly, YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG! Use the appropriate exim command to properly deal with the queue.[...]

Speaking of "DOING IT WRONG" -- Attention, CPanel forum readers
I get a number of hits to this page from a link in this post at the CPanel forums. The question is:
Due to spamming, spoofing from fields, etc., etc., etc., I am finding it necessary to spend more time to clear the exim queue from time to time. [...] what command would I use to delete the queue
The answer is: Just turn exim off, because your customers are better off knowing that email simply isn't running on your server, than having their queued messages deleted without notice.
Or, figure out what is happening. The examples given in that post pay no regard to the legitimacy of any message, they simply delete everything, making the presumption that if a message is in the queue, it's junk. That is total fallacy. There are a number of reasons legitimate mail can end up in the queue. Maybe your backups or CPanel's "upcp" process are running, and your load average is high -- exim goes into a queue-only mode at a certain threshold, where it stops trying to deliver messages as they come in and just queues them until the load goes back down. Or, maybe it's an outgoing message, and the DNS lookup failed, or the connection to the domain's MX failed, or maybe the remote MX is busy or greylisting you with a 4xx deferral. These are all temporary failures, not permanent ones, and the whole point of having temporary failures in SMTP and a mail queue in your MTA is to be able to try again after awhile.
Exim already purges messages from the queue after the period of time specified in exim.conf. If you have this value set appropriately, there is absolutely no point in removing everything from your queue every day with a cron job. You will lose legitimate mail, and the sender and recipient will never know if or why it happened. Do not do this!
If you regularly have a large number of messages in your queue, find out why they are there. If they are outbound messages, see who is sending them, where they're addressed to, and why they aren't getting there. If they are inbound messages, find out why they aren't getting delivered to your user's account. If you need to delete some, use exiqgrep to pick out just the ones that should be deleted.
toothycardus
How did you hear about Mailcleaner: Google

Postby toothycardus » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:37 pm

:shock: :oops: My bad I must admit I have deleted the file direct from the spools before (service stopped), Now I know better and won't be doing this again!

Return to “Features request”