MailCleaner 2017 "Jessie"/"Final" feedback

Give your impressions and feelings about MailCleaner

Moderators: FlorianB, Pascal, bourgeois, mentor

kmv
How did you hear about Mailcleaner: googling

Re: MailCleaner 2017 "Jessie"/"Final" feedback

Postby kmv » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:34 am

All reports for all people are empty. Can the language settings affect this?
PKej
How did you hear about Mailcleaner: web magazine

Postby PKej » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:38 am

Hello, I am here again with another issue. First installation of MC 2017 didn't quarantine nor tag spams so I decided to go back to old VM with 2014 and in meantime install and configure 2017 in another VM from scratch.

But I can't get it work again. I am using Hyper-V with MC 2017 Hyper-V prebuild image. When I setup MC 2017 and throw it in production, MC doesn't accept any inbound mail nor relay from internal mail server. I found this in /var/mailcleaner/log/exim_stage1/mainlog:
failed to open /var/mailcleaner/spool/tmp/mailcleaner/domains.list

Steps for reproduce issue:
  • Run fresh Hyper-V image. Configure keyboard, set root password, set IP address and DNS then exit installer by option 4
  • Run Updater4MC and reboot
  • Run apt update && apt upgrade and reboot
  • Go to MC/admin site and run Wizard, change admin password, set root password, set DB password, cluster ID 1, hostname mailcleaner, click at last important step and wait for page refresh
  • Setup new domain - 2 problems are there:
    • 1) address verification smtp callout says "Recipient wrongly accepted", same settings in MC 2014 returns "Recipient correctly refused"
    • 2) Users authentication returns "result: passed addresses <username>@__global__" <username> is of course my entered username. Shouldn't be variable __global__ replaced with my domain which I created in General of domain settings?
  • Test MC 2017 and you'll see its not accepting nor relaying any mail

I did it 4-5 times, I tried without apt upgrade or apt upgrade after wizard and other combinations.... Every try ends up the same. Am I doing anything wrong?
FlorianB
How did you hear about Mailcleaner: job

Postby FlorianB » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:13 pm

Hello,
kmv: Normally not, I tried to send report myself in French and English without problems, and scripts is the same but what language are you using, I'll test it ?
Pkej: We tested MC2017 and got no problem with it, again, there is now 1038 MC2017 active in the world so i suppose they can receive mail !!!!
But of course, bugs can still be present and we works to resolve them. When did you do all of this ? We published an update to the Wizard some days ago(maybe one week... 10 days) forcing some resync at the end. It could resolve your problem but of course not if you did all of this in last few days...
But your problem is the "same as usual" problem of DB desync. So could you try to launch:

Code: Select all

/usr/mailcleaner/bin/resync_db.sh

And confirm if there are errors. Also post the result of:

echo 'show slave status\G' |/usr/mailcleaner/bin/mc_mysql -s mc_config

So we can confirm than synchro is working well or not.
All your problems should be linked to this.
Regards,
Florian
PKej
How did you hear about Mailcleaner: web magazine

Postby PKej » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:53 pm

When did you do all of this ?

Yesterday and today before writing first feedback. OK, so I did resync_db:

root@mailcleaner:~# /usr/mailcleaner/bin/resync_db.sh
starting slave db...
  Starting slave DB: started.
  Stopping slave DB: Wait for mysqld to exit
 stopped.
stopped.
  Stopping slave DB: Wait for mysqld to exit
 stopped.
stopped.

then:

root@mailcleaner:~# echo 'show slave status\G' |/usr/mailcleaner/bin/mc_mysql -s mc_config
*************************** 1. row ***************************
               Slave_IO_State: Waiting for master to send event
                  Master_Host: 127.0.0.1
                  Master_User: mailcleaner
                  Master_Port: 3306
                Connect_Retry: 60
              Master_Log_File: mysql_bin.000048
          Read_Master_Log_Pos: 4705
               Relay_Log_File: mysqldslave-relay-bin.000004
                Relay_Log_Pos: 253
        Relay_Master_Log_File: mysql_bin.000048
             Slave_IO_Running: Yes
            Slave_SQL_Running: Yes
              Replicate_Do_DB: mc_config
          Replicate_Ignore_DB: mc_spool
           Replicate_Do_Table:
       Replicate_Ignore_Table: mc_config.update_patch
      Replicate_Wild_Do_Table:
  Replicate_Wild_Ignore_Table:
                   Last_Errno: 0
                   Last_Error:
                 Skip_Counter: 0
          Exec_Master_Log_Pos: 4705
              Relay_Log_Space: 415
              Until_Condition: None
               Until_Log_File:
                Until_Log_Pos: 0
           Master_SSL_Allowed: No
           Master_SSL_CA_File:
           Master_SSL_CA_Path:
              Master_SSL_Cert:
            Master_SSL_Cipher:
               Master_SSL_Key:
        Seconds_Behind_Master: 0
Master_SSL_Verify_Server_Cert: No
                Last_IO_Errno: 0
                Last_IO_Error:
               Last_SQL_Errno: 0
               Last_SQL_Error:
  Replicate_Ignore_Server_Ids:
             Master_Server_Id: 11

after this I did /etc/init.d/mailcleaner restart and now it look like it should work. I'll test it at evening.

EDIT:
FlorianB: It's working now, thank you again! :) But I am sorry I must consider default installation as broken. MC isn't working at all without running /usr/mailcleaner/bin/resync_db.sh! First thing I did after starting fresh VM was running MCupdater and apt upgrade so I had newest version of MC before configuring MC by wizard and admin site.
Sven424
How did you hear about Mailcleaner: article

Postby Sven424 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:23 pm

Hi,

as mentioned here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2516&p=10812#p10812 seems to me that timesync is at least on my installation somehow broken. How is timesync handled, via ntpd or systemd timesync service? ntpd is installed on my VM but not startable, systemd timesync service was not started, but once started all seems to be fine? Any suggestions?

Rgds
Sven
guillaume
How did you hear about Mailcleaner: Person

Postby guillaume » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:00 pm

Hello,

I have a problem in tracing, I do not see the mails in the list.
If I put January 1st, it works.
The date and time of the emails are correct.
There is a bug with the selection of dates
Thank you for your help

Guillaume
Pentangle
How did you hear about Mailcleaner: Googling

Postby Pentangle » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:14 pm

Hi,

I've just had a big problem with Mailcleaner 2017 Jessie which needs consideration...

I have a 5 node production version of Mailcleaner 2014 running. In addition to this I created a Mailcleaner 2017 VM from the OVF (because I couldn't get the VMDK to work on my ESXi) in order to test the 2017 version before considering upgrading my 2014 cluster.

My problem was that my master node of my production version of Mailcleaner 2014 is called "mailcleaner", so when I started the 2017 Mailcleaner and ran through the installation scripts it somehow operated those scripts on my production cluster. I've just spent the past 5 hours troubleshooting the issue, as it also broke the slave connections to the master, so even when I restored the 2014 master from a backup it wouldn't connect to the slaves and vice versa. I had to remove all the slaves (including itself!) with the slaves.pl script and then re-add them all from both sides.

In hindsight, whilst I thought it wouldn't have any effect to be testing the 2017 VM on the same network as production it obviously did, but I wouldn't have been able to easily direct a mailflow into a sandboxed environment. Hence you may want to consider a warning message or checks to see whether "mailcleaner" is registered as a DNS name before running the scripts.

Mike.
Pentangle
How did you hear about Mailcleaner: Googling

Postby Pentangle » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:14 pm

Hi,

I've just had a big problem with Mailcleaner 2017 Jessie which needs consideration...

I have a 5 node production version of Mailcleaner 2014 running. In addition to this I created a Mailcleaner 2017 VM from the OVF (because I couldn't get the VMDK to work on my ESXi) in order to test the 2017 version before considering upgrading my 2014 cluster.

My problem was that my master node of my production version of Mailcleaner 2014 is called "mailcleaner", so when I started the 2017 Mailcleaner and ran through the installation scripts it somehow operated those scripts on my production cluster. I've just spent the past 5 hours troubleshooting the issue, as it also broke the slave connections to the master, so even when I restored the 2014 master from a backup it wouldn't connect to the slaves and vice versa. I had to remove all the slaves (including itself!) with the slaves.pl script and then re-add them all from both sides.

In hindsight, whilst I thought it wouldn't have any effect to be testing the 2017 VM on the same network as production it obviously did, but I wouldn't have been able to easily direct a mailflow into a sandboxed environment. Hence you may want to consider a warning message or checks to see whether "mailcleaner" is registered as a DNS name before running the scripts.

Mike.
masterit
How did you hear about Mailcleaner: Spiceworks forum

Postby masterit » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:34 pm

masterit wrote:
FlorianB wrote:Hello,
Dragnell: No changes in the firewall script if i remember well. But i should place a restart of MailCleaner (it will of course cause problem with the apache process i'm sitting on and the redirect to admin) after the wizard as it can in some case cause DB synchronization problem even if all password are good everywhere.
Techsmith: Almost sure i forgot some variables (some important one here !) in apache conf files about sites. Did big structure changes here and some tests so i could have let the "test" value in place.
masterit: After a mailcleaner reboot, still the same pb about clustering ? Any other people with problem or success about clustering ? No changes here too but if there is problem with the DB synchronization, it will be a consequence.
kmv: For the case 1: No idea, possibly normal, or not.... ! means the servers disconnected or the connection was lost during data stage. Usually this is not a problem, but if you can link it to a case you are sure to lost something you should receive, can be interesting to investigate. But only you and the sender can dig deeper about that.
For the case 2 (certificate): it appears than Chrome changed something about recognizing self signed certificate. More info here and at least one solution (with ext) to generate selft-signed certs with correct arguments.
PS: No time available, I'll try to do some check and modifications saturday
Regards,
Florian

i've rebooted both nodes after running the slaves.pl script. the /admin interface is VERY slow after that point (no warning at the top saying could not connect to slave at least)
but that's as far as i get.

FlorianB: bump.

any news on this issue? it seems many people have problems with the initial configuration of the 2017 mailcleaner. likewise the 2014 version didnt have any problems durign initial configuration. no matter how many times it's been created.

i think there should be some serious investigation into these installation errors on mailcleaners end. i get this is the community version but i didn't expect us to become developers ourselves to fix issues native to the installation.
Renovatio
How did you hear about Mailcleaner: Google

Postby Renovatio » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:19 pm

guillaume wrote:Hello,

I have a problem in tracing, I do not see the mails in the list.
If I put January 1st, it works.
The date and time of the emails are correct.
There is a bug with the selection of dates
Thank you for your help

Guillaume

Exactly the problem I encountered today after deploying my first installation of Mailcleaner.
Thanks for the hint, I was searching for quite some time now.

Additionally it would be great to be able to not only filter Tracing by domain, but also to be able to simply show ALL mails. Maybe even some kind of "live" monitor would be a great thing.
kranzfr3d
How did you hear about Mailcleaner: informing

Postby kranzfr3d » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:43 pm

Hello @ everyone,

I registered yesterday because of failure "smtp callout says "Recipient wrongly accepted" at address verfication.
I have to say that I'm new to mailcleaner because i searched an antispam mechanism for free - and MC exceeded all expectations.
In the moment I don't know how everything works together, but I think that the address verification is an important piece.

I installed a brandnew domain with Server 2016 and Exchange 2016 - so I needed a great antispam mechanism.
After some googling I found MC. So I downloaded the OVA for my ESXI. I ended up in 6 hours spending time in searching for my issue "smtp callout says "Recipient wrongly accepted" and nothing worked.
Today I startet over and - it worked!

Thats what I did - thanks to the users "PKej" and "FlorianB"!
What I did yesterday on my Ex2016: https://helpdesk.spamtitan.com/support/ ... 3-and-2016

What I did today:
- New OVA-Rollout
After the Shell configuration and before logging the first time into Webbrowser i did the following into shell:
- /usr/mailcleaner/bin/resync_db.sh
- apt update && apt upgrade
- aptitude install -y open-vm-tools
- shutdown -r now
- cd && git clone https://github.com/MailCleaner/Updater4MCBeta.git && cd Updater4MCBeta && ./updater4mcbeta.sh
- shutdown -r now
- /usr/mailcleaner/bin/resync_db.sh
- echo 'show slave status\G' |/usr/mailcleaner/bin/mc_mysql -s mc_config

In Webbrowser-Portal:
Before the wizard I deactivated the configurator interface
After the wizard in webbrowser I added my domain.
In "Delivery" I added my DNS-name of the destination server, the Destinationport is 2525 (see upper link) - and what should I say:
Sending to random recipient : Recipient correctly refused
Sending to postmaster : Recipient correctly accepted

Sorry - I can only tell you what I did, not because my VM yesterday was shit and today TOP!

gr33tz
FlorianB

Postby FlorianB » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:30 am

Hello,
Your VM is ok today mainly (only ?) because you launched: - cd && git clone https://github.com/MailCleaner/Updater4MCBeta.git && cd Updater4MCBeta && ./updater4mcbeta.sh
before using the Wizard.
Doing this ensure you get all bug correction before wizard use and we added some weeks ago something to correct synchro at DB step when changing DB pass.
People that download MailCleaner and launch the wizard without updating first will probably have a broken DB.
I have to redo all VMs to ensure there is an update at first MC launch and/or before wizard use (I'll force it at first launch if network allow it, and I'll add a step in the wizard) but time is missing (that explains why I'm not on this forum as often as i would too)
Regards,
Florian
MailCleaner Team
Renovatio
How did you hear about Mailcleaner: Google

Postby Renovatio » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:52 pm

Actually, since the last automatically run update the bug is no longer present! Great work fixing this.
Pitty, that since the last update the automatic sending of the quarantine reports doesn't work anymore. I am able to "launch" them manually via the script but whatever I select as daily periodic task time, no report are being sent.
Last edited by Renovatio on Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sangramshekhawat
How did you hear about Mailcleaner: WWW

Postby sangramshekhawat » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:41 pm

Hi,

I have installed and updated MC however the Wizard gets stuck at Step for DB Password change. I don't know if I have missed any thing.
FlorianB

Postby FlorianB » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:24 am

Hello,
What mean get stuck here ? can't go to next step ? Error in red about some mysql commands ? anything else ?
Thank you.
Regards,
Florian

Return to “Feedback”