MailCleaner 2017 "Jessie"/"Final" feedback

Give your impressions and feelings about MailCleaner

Moderators: FlorianB, Pascal, bourgeois, mentor

FlorianB
How did you hear about Mailcleaner: job

MailCleaner 2017 "Jessie"/"Final" feedback

Postby FlorianB » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:22 pm

Here you can post all your feedback about MailCleaner Anti spam 2017 "Jessie" Final (2017.09)
FlorianB

Re: MailCleaner 2017 "Jessie"/"Final" feedback

Postby FlorianB » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:34 pm

Hello,
As i can't post immediately about migrating the Beta to Final or other goodies, here come some informations about these:
Beta to Final "Jessie": You have almost nothing to do except git clone the updater to /root and run it. Then add a crontask to re-run the Updater each night. I'll provide via the updater an insert command for the database to update your major version number to 2017090101 in some hours/days. For people hesitating, wait for exact commands to copy paste in coming announcement.
Migrate domains, users prefs and modules config from 201410 to Final "Jessie": We'll provide an automatic script. Soon, very soon.
Patch a 201410 Community to use in a cluster with a Final "Jessie": We'll provide a patch to apply on the 201410. Newsletter detection will of course not be available on the 201410 as the engine doesn't exist for this version.

Anyway, if you want to use MailCleaner easily i would recommend to install this new version or reinstall with this one if you were using the Beta.
Mixing Old and new in a cluster is available to allow soft testing of this new version but i wouldn't recommend it in a long term production environment.

Best regards,
Florian Billebault
MailCleaner Team
Sven424
How did you hear about Mailcleaner: article

Postby Sven424 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:34 pm

Florian and Team,

many thanks for the new version. Highly appreciated now to be able to switch to a modern OS plattform and of course the new Mailcleaner. As the weather will be quite bad over here on the weekend I know what to do now ;-).

A special thanks for the auto updater and the switch to a Debian Kernel which gives me hope that we do not have to wait in the future to move away from outdated OS versions.

Again, excellent work and many thanks. Another donation for the community version is already in preparation.

Rgds
Sven
PKej
How did you hear about Mailcleaner: web magazine

Postby PKej » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:37 am

I am running Hyper-V version and found two issues so far:

1) When registering you cannot register when selecting country with two words in it. For example I tried register with "Czech Republic" country, but configurator told me "Selected country has invalid characters in it" so I registered as Afghanistan and it worked...

2) Tracing and logs are not working (empty). Should I enable it somewhere?
uncltom
How did you hear about Mailcleaner: I dont remember probably google?

Postby uncltom » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:06 am

One thing I noticed is I can log in to Mailcleaner using a disabled user account using LDAP. Is this by design?
FlorianB

Postby FlorianB » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:33 pm

PKej wrote:I am running Hyper-V version and found two issues so far:

1) When registering you cannot register when selecting country with two words in it. For example I tried register with "Czech Republic" country, but configurator told me "Selected country has invalid characters in it" so I registered as Afghanistan and it worked...

2) Tracing and logs are not working (empty). Should I enable it somewhere?

Hello PKej,
Thank for the report,
1) We'll try for country with multiple words and correct that quickly !
2) No, it usually happens when you just loaded the VM and we are in the first day of logs, so no log file are present for the current day yet.
If you wait some time, the next day or you launch rotate_log.sh (or pl ?) possibly in /usr/mailcleaner/bin or /usr/mailcleaner/scripts/cron/ (sorry no VM or ssh under my hand to check) it should be resolved.
I probably found a way already for next major version to launch some command at first start of the VM to automatically resolve this type of cases.
Regards,
Florian
FlorianB

Postby FlorianB » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:36 pm

uncltom wrote:One thing I noticed is I can log in to Mailcleaner using a disabled user account using LDAP. Is this by design?

Hello uncltom,
"by design" would be a big word here :wink: . As the code fetch all users without checking any state or any other attributes, i suppose this was not intended. But today, we can clearly consider this is a design choice :lol: .
Regards,
Florian
foobar
How did you hear about Mailcleaner: google

Postby foobar » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:02 am

Hi..
i've just finished installing this edition on KVM based hosts.
Some things i noticed so far :
- mc seems to hung a little long on reboot ( I wonder if it's beacause of SCSI Virtio, if i change to just virtio, will it be ok ? )
- on first boot, clamd took quite some time and eats up 90%+ CPU )
- apache doesn't seems to start automatically, i have to start it with /usr/mailcleaner/etc/init.d/apache restart
- took a trial and error to login once the webserver is up, got logged out by itself, and have to wait quite a while to get in to the gui.
FlorianB

Postby FlorianB » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:42 am

Hello foobar,
Hmmm, I tried to deploy a VM based on a conversion of the initial KVM and:
- Yes, MC is a bit long on stop or reboot with kvm, i don't know really why as it wasn't the case and you re right, it could be caused by a change i made before the beta about SCSI Virtio. This change was needed to get better performance (not tested but announced as a goal) and to allow use of SSD command in the VM: you can flush the empty space to regain the space with ssd usual command.
- I'll check for clamd.
- Not normal at all !!!! All started correctly here.
- what do you want to say by took a trial ? the account useful to login is the "admin" with the password provided in the Readme file, no problem should be present a this step too but as you got Apache problem before...
You could try to redeploy from the VM as deploying the VM and set an IP with some habit is a 5mn task now :wink: to check if you meet same problems again. Did you used the generate-va.sh script ? Did you set at least 2 cores and 4 Go Ram ?
Thanks
Regards,
Florian
PKej
How did you hear about Mailcleaner: web magazine

Postby PKej » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:25 am

FlorianB wrote:2) No, it usually happens when you just loaded the VM and we are in the first day of logs, so no log file are present for the current day yet.
If you wait some time, the next day or you launch rotate_log.sh (or pl ?) possibly in /usr/mailcleaner/bin or /usr/mailcleaner/scripts/cron/ (sorry no VM or ssh under my hand to check) it should be resolved.

Hello FlorianB,
/usr/mailcleaner/scripts/cron/rotate_log.sh really helped!

Thank you for your hard work on jessie release! It's working flawlessly now. :)
snvdberg
How did you hear about Mailcleaner: Sites

Postby snvdberg » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:59 pm

Hi,

After using the configuration wizard for changing the passwords apache wouldn't start anymore with the following error:
ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'mailcleaner'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

It looks like special characters are not allowed in database password. I reinstalled en ran the configuration wizard again without special characters in the database password and the issue was fixed.
snvdberg
How did you hear about Mailcleaner: Sites

Postby snvdberg » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:19 pm

Also registering with spaces in last name doesn't work
uncltom
How did you hear about Mailcleaner: I dont remember probably google?

Postby uncltom » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:36 am

snvdberg wrote:Hi,

After using the configuration wizard for changing the passwords apache wouldn't start anymore with the following error:
ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'mailcleaner'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

It looks like special characters are not allowed in database password. I reinstalled en ran the configuration wizard again without special characters in the database password and the issue was fixed.

This might be a mysql thing. I’ve had problems with special characters in sql accounts too.
thuyle
How did you hear about Mailcleaner: works

Postby thuyle » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:28 am

I have install MC 2017.09 few days ago. But in this morning all email send in to my system be show error below:

"Incoming MTA stage: 2017-09-11 10:06:40 H=mail-pg0-f42.google.com [74.125.83.42] F=<thuylee@gmail.com> rejected RCPT <thuyle@mydomain>: (result of an earlier callout reused)."

thank u!
Last edited by thuyle on Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
thuyle
How did you hear about Mailcleaner: works

Postby thuyle » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:37 am

and, incomming:

"2017-09-11 06:22:52 1drBYL-0002Ld-Ct [10.90.x.x] SSL verify error: certificate name mismatch: .........
2017-09-11 06:22:54 1drBYL-0002Ld-Ct Spool file is locked (another process is handling this message)"

thank for your explain!

Return to “Feedback”