MailCleaner 2017 "Jessie"/"Final" feedback

Give your impressions and feelings about MailCleaner

Moderators: FlorianB, Pascal, bourgeois, mentor

masterit
How did you hear about Mailcleaner: Spiceworks forum

Re: MailCleaner 2017 "Jessie"/"Final" feedback

Postby masterit » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:19 pm

having problems creating a cluster in this new version.

• set ip's from console (option 4)
  • logged into /admin on both vm's registered them.
  • ran the config wizard set all the passwords as needed.
  • ran the /updater4mc/updater4mc.sh
  • ran slaves.pl, set option 1 on each, set add slave on master used correct passwd, quit.
  • ran slaves.pl on slave, set option set as slave.

receive the following error:
Syncing to master host (this may take a few minutes)...
** ERROR ** Master server is not responsive. Make sure you ran this script on the master host first to advise it of this new slave.
** ERROR ** Also make sure there is not firewall blocking port TCP 3306 between this host and the master.

any ideas here? this works wonderfully under 2014..
techsmith
How did you hear about Mailcleaner: google

Postby techsmith » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:44 pm

Mailcleaner Version: 20170901

Having issue with the Services : web interfaces section. The changes to the SSL cert section or port # does not do anything. It appears to be a bug. I tried to change the SSL port to 445 to test but it won't take the changes. If I turn off SSL on that page, it'll still redirect to SSL page.

Anything I can do to make it work?
FlorianB
How did you hear about Mailcleaner: job

Postby FlorianB » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:07 am

Hello,
Coul be the result of big changes in httpd configuration, I'll check for this (SSL disabling fails and Port not used)
Regards,
Florian
techsmith

Postby techsmith » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:31 pm

Hi FlorianB,
This was a new install with just one change to the port # on the Services : web interfaces section. I completely reinstalled the mailcleaner today with the same issue. The changes to that page does not take effect for the port #, ssl. Can I PM you?
FlorianB

Postby FlorianB » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:16 pm

Hello,
You did ;-) but i seriously miss time to check the configuration file, compare it to a legacy MailCleaner and see where something went wrong.
I'll try one evening this week and if it is not possible, probably saturday.
Regards,
Florian
Dragnell
How did you hear about Mailcleaner: googling a replace for baruwa

Postby Dragnell » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:21 pm

masterit wrote:having problems creating a cluster in this new version.

• set ip's from console (option 4)
  • logged into /admin on both vm's registered them.
  • ran the config wizard set all the passwords as needed.
  • ran the /updater4mc/updater4mc.sh
  • ran slaves.pl, set option 1 on each, set add slave on master used correct passwd, quit.
  • ran slaves.pl on slave, set option set as slave.

receive the following error:
Syncing to master host (this may take a few minutes)...
** ERROR ** Master server is not responsive. Make sure you ran this script on the master host first to advise it of this new slave.
** ERROR ** Also make sure there is not firewall blocking port TCP 3306 between this host and the master.

any ideas here? this works wonderfully under 2014..

I have a similar problem, looking closer i notice that the firewall does not update the rules, if this remains relevant them something is missing in the firewall script. I keep digging out, any ideas ?
techsmith

Postby techsmith » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:50 am

Dragnell,
Yes, both the apache settings and firewall seem to have issue pulling the data from the MySQL database and applying the settings. The web interface would show the correct settings but viewing the actual httpd config file will show that the settings are not there.

There's also odd issue about with the firewall blocking ssh after some configuration changes on the web interface. I had to temporary stop the firewall service to gain access to ssh again.

I would wait for the FlorianB to have time and check it out first.
kmv
How did you hear about Mailcleaner: googling

Postby kmv » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:41 am

Hello!

Thank you for The Great Project! :D

After installing MailCleaner 2017.09, i have two questions:

1. In Tracing this string repetedly from my internal mail server:
Incoming MTA stage: 2017-10-11 17:45:14 SMTP data timeout (message abandoned) on connection from [MyInternalMAILserver] ...

2. When i connect to my MailCleaner via https, i have error in browser:
The certificate for this site does not contain a Subject Alternative Name extension containing a domain name or IP address.

How to create selfsigned certificate after rename MailCleaner gateway (install from OVA).

Thank you :D
FlorianB

Postby FlorianB » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:21 pm

Hello,
Dragnell: No changes in the firewall script if i remember well. But i should place a restart of MailCleaner (it will of course cause problem with the apache process i'm sitting on and the redirect to admin) after the wizard as it can in some case cause DB synchronization problem even if all password are good everywhere.
Techsmith: Almost sure i forgot some variables (some important one here !) in apache conf files about sites. Did big structure changes here and some tests so i could have let the "test" value in place.
masterit: After a mailcleaner reboot, still the same pb about clustering ? Any other people with problem or success about clustering ? No changes here too but if there is problem with the DB synchronization, it will be a consequence.
kmv: For the case 1: No idea, possibly normal, or not.... ! means the servers disconnected or the connection was lost during data stage. Usually this is not a problem, but if you can link it to a case you are sure to lost something you should receive, can be interesting to investigate. But only you and the sender can dig deeper about that.
For the case 2 (certificate): it appears than Chrome changed something about recognizing self signed certificate. More info here and at least one solution (with ext) to generate selft-signed certs with correct arguments.
PS: No time available, I'll try to do some check and modifications saturday
Regards,
Florian
Martijn
How did you hear about Mailcleaner: We love to work with Mailcleaner

Postby Martijn » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:35 pm

Dragnell wrote:I have a similar problem, looking closer i notice that the firewall does not update the rules, if this remains relevant them something is missing in the firewall script. I keep digging out, any ideas ?

Do you mean the SSH access?

In that case:
Edit /opt/mailcleaner/bin/dump_firewall.pl
The first 4 and last 4 rows allready excist.

Code: Select all

print START $iptables." -A INPUT -p ICMP --icmp-type 8 -j ACCEPT\n";
  if ($has_ipv6) {
    print START $ip6tables." -A INPUT -p ipv6-icmp -j ACCEPT\n";
  }

## ADD THIS TO YOUR FILE
  print START "# SSH FROM ALL\n";
  print START $iptables." -A INPUT -p TCP --dport 22 -s 0.0.0.0/0 -j ACCEPT\n";
## 

foreach my $description (sort keys %rules) {
    print START "\n# $description\n";
    my @ports = split '\|', $rules{$description}[0];
    foreach my $port (@ports) {
masterit

Postby masterit » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:05 pm

FlorianB wrote:Hello,
Dragnell: No changes in the firewall script if i remember well. But i should place a restart of MailCleaner (it will of course cause problem with the apache process i'm sitting on and the redirect to admin) after the wizard as it can in some case cause DB synchronization problem even if all password are good everywhere.
Techsmith: Almost sure i forgot some variables (some important one here !) in apache conf files about sites. Did big structure changes here and some tests so i could have let the "test" value in place.
masterit: After a mailcleaner reboot, still the same pb about clustering ? Any other people with problem or success about clustering ? No changes here too but if there is problem with the DB synchronization, it will be a consequence.
kmv: For the case 1: No idea, possibly normal, or not.... ! means the servers disconnected or the connection was lost during data stage. Usually this is not a problem, but if you can link it to a case you are sure to lost something you should receive, can be interesting to investigate. But only you and the sender can dig deeper about that.
For the case 2 (certificate): it appears than Chrome changed something about recognizing self signed certificate. More info here and at least one solution (with ext) to generate selft-signed certs with correct arguments.
PS: No time available, I'll try to do some check and modifications saturday
Regards,
Florian

i've rebooted both nodes after running the slaves.pl script. the /admin interface is VERY slow after that point (no warning at the top saying could not connect to slave at least)
but that's as far as i get.
FlorianB

Postby FlorianB » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:50 am

Hello,

echo "show slave status\G" |/usr/mailcleaner/bin/mc_mysql -s mc_config

Dragneel: Confirmed, try this line and post here to confirm if synchro between DB instance is correct.
Techsmith: I didn't forgot variables or anything finally, we suppose than synchro could be your problem here too, test the line above and post result if need.
masterit: We retried clustering using final version: no problem noticed. Did you setup hostname on both MC (option 1 of slave.pl) and are you using hostname or IPs for contact each other ? SOAP calls are used between MC hosts so if this is too slow:
1) Check for DNS, this is always DNS
2) If you use public IP, your MailCleaner will communicate by their external interface, probably not the best choice
3) If you use hostname and hostname correspond to public IPs (no internal view or anything), check point 2

About synchronisation problem, we added a restart of MailCleaner in 15mn max after the end of the Wizard (advertised in the last page of wizard) so it should resolved some case of desync.

Regards,
Florian
masterit

Postby masterit » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:12 pm

FlorianB wrote:Hello,

echo "show slave status\G" |/usr/mailcleaner/bin/mc_mysql -s mc_config

Dragneel: Confirmed, try this line and post here to confirm if synchro between DB instance is correct.
Techsmith: I didn't forgot variables or anything finally, we suppose than synchro could be your problem here too, test the line above and post result if need.
masterit: We retried clustering using final version: no problem noticed. Did you setup hostname on both MC (option 1 of slave.pl) and are you using hostname or IPs for contact each other ? SOAP calls are used between MC hosts so if this is too slow:
1) Check for DNS, this is always DNS
2) If you use public IP, your MailCleaner will communicate by their external interface, probably not the best choice
3) If you use hostname and hostname correspond to public IPs (no internal view or anything), check point 2

About synchronisation problem, we added a restart of MailCleaner in 15mn max after the end of the Wizard (advertised in the last page of wizard) so it should resolved some case of desync.

Regards,
Florian

tried once using the fqdn of each node. rebooted both still didn't work.
tried adding the hostnames into the hosts file to test if it was dns at fault. no it was not..
tried using the ip's after reading about the firewall blocking it.
same isssue.

i should mention i reinstalled from scratch between trying with hostname and then with ip.
kmv
How did you hear about Mailcleaner: googling

Postby kmv » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:24 am

Reports are empty.

When i manually send reports:

root@mx:/usr/mailcleaner# /usr/mailcleaner/bin/send_summary.pl user@ofmydomain.org 0 1
2017-10-20 10:05:51 SUMSENT to user@ofmydomain.org for user@ofmydomain.org (days: 1, spams: 1, id: 1e5RNP-0002cE-3m)

I have recieved empty reports without any content. :shock:
FlorianB

Postby FlorianB » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:18 am

Hello,
We never noticed this problem yet, some other people with empty summary ? (not manually sent)
Regards
Florian

Return to “Feedback”