Offsite backup of your Mailcleaner

Users tips and ideas

Moderators: FlorianB, Pascal, bourgeois, mentor

cglmicro
How did you hear about Mailcleaner: google

Offsite backup of your Mailcleaner

Postby cglmicro » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:25 am

Hi guys.

I'm running 2 MC and want a disaster recovery plan; just in case something went bad during an update or a reboot. I read a thread here about a script that is no longer discussed about, so I start a new thread.

I own another linux server with a lot of free space in it, let's call it spare.mydomain.ca. I've created a folder named "/root/mc170_backup/" and I want to RSYNC all my server to this folder on a regular basis, and delete what is no longer good. Of course I want to do it in SSH so the packet will be crypted.

I discovered RSYNC and I tried this:

Code: Select all

rsync --delete -avzhe ssh --progress --exclude={"/dev/*","/proc/*","/sys/*","/tmp/*","/run/*","/mnt/*","/media/*","/lost+found"} /* root@spare.mydomain.ca:/root/mc170_backup

Questions:
1) Something missing ?
2) Do I need to exclude more things (like cache, other temp files or non essential files) ?
3) How to recover from this in case of a crash:
3.1) Minor crash, still have access in SSH and GUI but some services won't run (ex.: incoming, filtering, outgoing down) ?
3.2) Regular crash, still have access in SSH but no GUI ?
3.3) Major crash, won't boot or no SSH access ?

I assume that 3.1 and 3.2 would be an inverted RSYNC launched from my crashed machine, without the --delete so I won't mess with /dev /proc, etc. :

Code: Select all

rsync -avzhe ssh --progress root@spare.mydomain.ca:/root/mc170_backup /*
then a reboot

And I assume that 3.3 require a basic install with the ISO and has soon has my machine get an IP address, I also do an inverted RSYNC and also a reboot.

Please don't be too hard on me; I'm far from neither Linux nor a Mailcleaner expert. I just think Mailcleaner lack backup/restore scenario and I wonder what you use and how to proceed.

Return to “Tips”