Incoming spool problem: Enable SMTP not working for me

Generic questions on MailCleaner usage. Please check if your question cannot find a more specific topic below before posting here !<br>
This section is now READ ONLY, please choose the section below that fit your question !

Moderators: FlorianB, Pascal, bourgeois, mentor

mpriddy

Incoming spool problem: Enable SMTP not working for me

Postby mpriddy » Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:48 pm

Hello,

I have approximately 700 emails stacked up in my incoming queue. Some of them say frozen, some of them dont say anything in the "To" field. I dont care about those, but there are some emails trapped in there that are legitimate. I tried enabling SMTP callout on my domains as I have seen suggested to other users, but that did not seem to fix the problem for us. Any other suggestions?
olivier

Postby olivier » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:29 pm

are you using MailCleaner as an outgoing relay ? if yes, these might be outgoing messages that cannot be delivered.

Otherwise you may have a problem with the filtering level MTA. Check the status, try to restart filtering and incoming processes, then go to the spool view of incoming stage and try to force some messages.
mpriddy

Postby mpriddy » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:35 pm

Outgoing relay? Well, we have an exchange server that forwards outgoing mail to the mailcleaner before it hits the internet.

Is there a way to have mailcleaner automatically drop emails that do not have anything in the "From" field or emails that have **** Frozen **** in the from field? 99.9 % of the emails trapped in the incoming spool are not emails that we want to keep. How do I have mailcleaner automatically drop these? I dont like having 700 - 1000 emails queued up in my incoming spool and I have already tried checking "Enable SMTP Callout". Thanks.
olivier

Postby olivier » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:51 pm

mpriddy wrote:Outgoing relay? Well, we have an exchange server that forwards outgoing mail to the mailcleaner before it hits the internet.

then, you are using MailCleaner as an outgoing relay.

Mails that have an empty From (null sender) are bounces (or "Mailer-dameon"). Probably sent by your Exchange server. Beware that Exchange is by default NOT compatible with SMTP callout as it doesn't reject bad recipient at SMTP time. Instead, if recipient address is bad, it still accepts the mail and generate a bounce message for the original recipient.
When the sender is invalid too the bounce message cannot be delivered and thus get stuck in your outgoing queue (these are the **frozen** messages)
You should have your Exchange to correctly refuse bad recipient. This can be done on Exchance >= 2003 with policies. For lower versions, you'll have to configure the LDAP callout or live with large outgoing queues.

Return to “General help”