Can MailCleaner check all domains on e-mailserver...

Generic questions on MailCleaner usage. Please check if your question cannot find a more specific topic below before posting here !<br>
This section is now READ ONLY, please choose the section below that fit your question !

Moderators: FlorianB, Pascal, bourgeois, mentor

Honnett

Can MailCleaner check all domains on e-mailserver...

Postby Honnett » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:14 am

...without to need to add all theese domains on the MailCleaner server?

I.e some form of transparent check?

Mikael
olivier

Postby olivier » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:03 am

unfortunately no. Simply because MailCleaner has to be in front of your mail server and for security reason, you should never have a system in front of another which have less informations on the domains it has to accept.
Using some kind of '*' domains will just open your system for relaying (and no, using iptables and frontend mx filtering is definitively NOT secure :wink:)
Honnett

Postby Honnett » Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:31 pm

OK. Too bad. What I had in mind was that MailCeaner server checked all incoming mail, SPAM/Virus - Yes/No. If yes, add tag to subject and then resend to the mailserver. The mailserver then check if the domain and/or user does exist. This way I can't see that security is compromised in any way. MailCleaner can send ONLY to our mailserver.

If I was to set our mailserver to use SQL then? We use Merak Mail server, can I then add the domain and users only in Merak and MailCleaner uses this info, or?

Mikael
olivier

Postby olivier » Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:19 pm

no, at least not without modifications. you can eventually think of a periodic dump which will keep both configs in sync, but you'll have to write some scripts.

For your basic idea, this is vers dangerous. No mail system should ever accept mail for domains it's is not explicitly configured for ! I repeat, this is very dangerous.
Morover, many internal processes of MailCleaner needs domain configurations, like statistics, configuration settings, etc...
Honnett

Postby Honnett » Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:03 am

OK.

Is it better to let the mailserver ask an anti-spam/anti-virus server if the received message is good or not, then? The MailCleaner can't do that (?) but if it could?

Mikael

Return to “General help”