Weird CPU Usage

Generic questions on MailCleaner usage. Please check if your question cannot find a more specific topic below before posting here !<br>
This section is now READ ONLY, please choose the section below that fit your question !

Moderators: Pascal, mentor, FlorianB, bourgeois

irrashai

Weird CPU Usage

Postby irrashai » Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:31 am

Hi!
I'm trying mailcleaner and it's working great except for this one.
Could someone give me an idea what happened or what problem is it? Using "top" on the server shows just around 20-30% load. :?
Thanks!

n0lqu

Crazy large values in the RRD graphs

Postby n0lqu » Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:32 pm

That happened to me as well a couple weeks ago, not sure what caused it. I fixed it by looking up documentation on the RRDTOOLS that create the graphs, finding the graph data files at /var/mailcleaner/spool/rrdtools/127.0.0.1 and using the 'rrdtool' utility to dump the CPU data to a text file, editing the text file to remove the huge numbers -- I replaced numbers with e+04 or larger with 'NaN' (Not a Number) -- and then using the rrdtools to convert the text file back to a binary rrd file. There were a few dozen numbers to change and it was a bit of a pain, but it worked for me. Here's documentation on the rrd tools:
http://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool/doc/rrdtool.en.html

As an example, I did it something like this:

Code: Select all

cd /var/mailcleaner/spool/rrdtools/127.0.0.1
/usr/rrdtools/bin/rrdtool dump cpu.rrd >cpu.xml

Edit cpu.xml using your favorite text editor and replace huge numbers, numbers ending in e+04 through e+07 in my case, with NaN or zero. Then make a backup and convert the text file back to binary:

Code: Select all

cp cpu.rrd cpu.rrd.backup
/usr/rrdtools/bin/rrdtool restore cpu.xml cpu.rrd

I don't know if it would be better to shut down or disable the rrd process or something before doing this; I did it live while everything was running. Next RRD update (every 5 minutes?) the graph was back to normal.
irrashai

Postby irrashai » Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:41 am

thanks! that fixed it. :)
irrashai

Postby irrashai » Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:59 am

i guess i spoke too soon.

although it's not as huge as my first post, it's still going above 100% but not 200%.

i guess there's something wrong somewhere, or is that normal? :(
n0lqu

Postby n0lqu » Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:25 pm

If your system is a dual-processor (or dual-core) system, then the CPU graph might go to 200% -- ours does.

Using the technique above it's easy to find the values that are ordered of magnitude off, but if you have some erroneous values that are just a little off it's probably not worth trying to fix; you can at least see the normal values now, instead of that single vertical line that made everything else vanish.
irrashai

Postby irrashai » Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:18 am

thanks again.

i didn't bother fixing it again.

as for the system, it's not dual core.
suhasingale

Postby suhasingale » Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:26 am

Your processor may be HT technology then. Can you confirm?
irrashai

Postby irrashai » Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:34 am

sorry my mistake, it's dual core.

Return to “General help”