Changing server name after install [second try]

Generic questions on MailCleaner usage. Please check if your question cannot find a more specific topic below before posting here !<br>
This section is now READ ONLY, please choose the section below that fit your question !

Moderators: Pascal, mentor, FlorianB, bourgeois

n0lqu

Changing server name after install [second try]

Postby n0lqu » Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:36 pm

We installed MailCleaner and during testing used the name "test3" for the server. We later decided we wanted to use the name "mailgateway" and thought we changed it to that. However we keep finding references to test3, such as the summary email having links to test3.example.com (for example) rather than mailgateway.example.com. I currently have both test3 and mailgateway in our DNS so either work, but I'd like to completely eliminate references to test3. Is there a way to do that?

[Note: this is my second post of this question -- the first one got a reply that was a link to a thread that didn't actually address my question. Then the topic somehow got "locked" so I couldn't reply saying the question wasn't answered yet.]
jordant

Postby jordant » Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:48 pm

Apologies for locking the previous thread, I didn't look at the referring link and assumed it was a solution to the problem. You're right about it having nothing to do with your question - apologies again & I will delete the original locked thread. :)
olivier

Postby olivier » Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:26 am

try these:

Code: Select all

> echo "USE mc_config; UPDATE httpd_config SET servername='your_server_name';" | /usr/mailcleaner/bin/mc_mysql -m
> echo "USE mc_config; UPDATE system_conf SET servername='your_server_hostname';" | /usr/mailcleaner/bin/mc_mysql -m

where "your_server_name" is the fully qualified name (if needed), and "your_server_hostname" is only the hostname (mailgateway).

For those asking why there are two values for that is in one hand historically and in the other hand to let people play with their links in non-standard environments.
Last edited by olivier on Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ogi

Postby Ogi » Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:38 am

I tried this and i get bad usage: use -s or -m flag to connect to slave or master database. Which database should i be updateing?
olivier

Postby olivier » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:56 am

sorry, it's -m. I've corrected the post.
n0lqu

Postby n0lqu » Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:41 am

Finally got around to trying this; haven't checked if it works yet but I'm optimistic. The second command wasn't quite right, however, it looks like: system_conf SET servername= should really be: system_conf SET hostname=, right? You might make that correction for future Ogis and n0lqusies and others looking for this information.
Ogi

Postby Ogi » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:12 pm

I changed the name as suggested but i still get the old name when i look into the headers of an email itself. I have restarted all the engines.

EDIT: it changes a name but it adds domain at the back which is still from the old setup. How would i change that to reflect new name completely: name.domain.com
n0lqu

Postby n0lqu » Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:59 pm

I don't know if this is the correct answer, but you might look into the following files:

/usr/mailcleaner/etc/exim/exim_stage1.conf
/usr/mailcleaner/etc/exim/exim_stage2.conf
/usr/mailcleaner/etc/mailscanner/MailScanner.conf

What I don't know is whether changes to those file will be permanent or will disappear because I believe they are build using templates. Anyone know where the templates get their information and how to change it at the source?
meister

Postby meister » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:06 am

Here is my second try at trying to help.

http://forum.mailcleaner.org/viewtopic. ... highlight=

The link has code (look at the bottom of the thread - not the title) to change the headers in an outgoing email. It did work for me anyhow.
Ogi

Postby Ogi » Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:28 am

I tried making changes to exim stage one to three but those are not permanent as they get changed back as soon as i restart a service. I did try to update using this:

http://forum.mailcleaner.org/viewtopic. ... highlight=

After i ran update and restarted my incoming filtering and outgoing service still no changes. As soon as i telnet to localhost i get name.domain.com where name is correct but domain is incorrect. Any help on this would be great since i do not want to reinstall this machine does a lot of mail.

Return to “General help”