Very Long Delay in Queue

Generic questions on MailCleaner usage. Please check if your question cannot find a more specific topic below before posting here !<br>
This section is now READ ONLY, please choose the section below that fit your question !

Moderators: FlorianB, Pascal, bourgeois, mentor

rebus

Re: Have you tried a different ClamAV?

Postby rebus » Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:09 pm

n0lqu wrote:Needless to say, I'm very curious if your problem could be related to the ClamAV (module) as well, and what would happen if you switch to the old ClamAV rather than ClamAV (module)?

I would say no, simply because at the time the queue was growing out of control, I was still on the October update and had not yet applied the one from November. After discussing the problem for a day or two, I then downloaded and applied the November update but it didn't make any apparent difference.

The only thing that seemed to keep the queue from growing was shutting off Pyzor. I've re-enabled Pyzor as of this morning, and will keep an eye on the queue to see what happens. The accuracy of MC to correctly tag spam did not seem to be negatively affected with Pyzor disabled, so I may not need to leave it on. But still, I'd prefer to have all 3 checks performed (Razor, Pyzor, DCC) if at all possible.
olivier

Postby olivier » Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:00 pm

really seems to be timeout problem.
Try to launch a spamassassin debug session like this:

Code: Select all

/usr/mailcleaner/bin/is_spam.sh -D /path/to/message/file

and checkout the output.

you can also try this:

/usr/mailcleaner/scripts/cron/antispam_discovers.sh

although this one should be fired up every night by the cron job...
rebus

Postby rebus » Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:00 am

Just to update this topic, after turning Pyzor back on yesterday, I started to get dozens of messages piling up in the Filtering queue again today during peak morning hours. Messages were jamming up in there for 4, 5, 6 minutes or more. As soon as I turned Pyzor back off, the queue emptied right out and MC has been running smoothly again.

Seems that during peak hours, running Pyzor is like dragging an anchor. During off-peak hours it seems to be fine.
mmiller

Postby mmiller » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:07 am

I'm just wondering what does test_pyzor.sh return?

/usr/mailcleaner/bin/test_pyzor.sh

It should return with "PYZOROK"

If it returns with a filed message check "/root/.pyzor/servers" and change the IP address and port address too "82.94.255.100:24441".

If you still get a failed message after running test_pyzor.sh make sure your firewall is not blocking 24441 I think it's UDP.
rebus

Postby rebus » Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:42 pm

Returns PYZOROK.
n0lqu

Postby n0lqu » Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:57 pm

After getting enough memory, things seemed to be good for awhile, but we now appear to be running into the Pyzor problem discussed in this thread. Unlike our previous spool pileups, disabling antivirus didn't help much on this one, whereas disabling Pyzor did. I wondered where mmiller got the alternate 82.94.255.100 address and found this document (among others) via a Google search:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/spamassassin/users/87103?do=post_view_threaded

So it looks like the old address of 66.250.40.33 has been getting overloaded recently and the 82 address is an alternate one that's been set up. It might not be as complete as the main one, but if the alternative is turning it off completely... And it does mention they hope to get the two syncronized soon.

rebus, did you make the switch, and did that fix your issues?
rebus

Postby rebus » Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:06 pm

I did not switch IPs, and elected instead to just leave Pyzor disabled. With SpamAssassin, Razor, and DCC alone, the accuracy of MailCleaner to properly tag spam is so good that I cannot find any compelling reason to turn Pyzor back on.
n0lqu

Postby n0lqu » Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:03 pm

I did switch to the alternate Pyzor address and that seems to be working better, but there was a period yesterday when it must have been down or having problems because we had a rapid rise to over 1000 queued messages before I shut off Pyzor and got it back down. I've got Pyzor on again and will probably disable it for good if this happens again. Or maybe I'll see if setting the timeout for Pyzor to just a few seconds instead of 20 seconds works.
rebus

Postby rebus » Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:08 pm

n0lqu wrote:Or maybe I'll see if setting the timeout for Pyzor to just a few seconds instead of 20 seconds works.

See my post here http://forum.mailcleaner.org/viewtopic.php?t=309 regarding timeouts. I'm beginning to wonder if the timeouts are actually honored.
n0lqu

Postby n0lqu » Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:38 pm

I changed the Pyzor timeout to 5 seconds and I think it's helping; I did it during a time the filtering queue was growing due, I think, to Pyzor and it came back down and has been down ever since.

I saw your other post and I too would be very interested in knowing the path of a message and what causes delays longer than the sum of the timeouts for the various filtering agents.

Return to “General help”