Debian Jessie

Problems/questions about updates/patches of MailCleaner

Moderators: FlorianB, Pascal, bourgeois, mentor

Linus
How did you hear about Mailcleaner: Googling and reading articles about mail gateways.

Re: Debian Jessie

Postby Linus » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:09 am

Congratulations on the twins! Both hands full for sure! Some things in life are greater than orderings bits on a computer. =) :D
uncltom
How did you hear about Mailcleaner: I dont remember probably google?

Postby uncltom » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:32 pm

Congrats on the arrival of your twins. Thoughts and prayers that they are happy, healthy and your whole family is well.
derdanilo
How did you hear about Mailcleaner: Search

Postby derdanilo » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:27 pm

Congrats to your twins! :)

FlorianB wrote:4) We have to fill /etc/issue with links to documentation etc... as MailCleaner will now come without installer but as a ready to use VM.
5) KVM VM will be the first to be available probably as we works with it, but they should be convertible, and we'll soon provide some for Hyper-V or VmWare

Solution 1#
Please make Mailcleaner available as ISO installer as for some KVM virtualization there is no possibility to import a virtual disk or .ova file.
In the past Mailcleaner could be installed on many providers vServers because it had an ISO file that could be mounted/uploaded to the providers storage/infrastructure. With templates only it would be impossible to do so.

It would be enough if the installer distributes a clean Jessie and then extracts all components that are required. You could even include all required moduels in the ISO files, so it requires no additionaly download for the setup and can be installed fast in a matter of minutes.

Solution 2#
Another option would be to be able to install Mailcleaner into a clean Jessie by just running an install script that you could provide. With it's code beeing on git this should be simple to do and simple to maintain the installer script.

One liner e.g.:
bash <(wget -qO- https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Mailc ... _script.sh)

Thanks for considering! :)
FlorianB
How did you hear about Mailcleaner: job

Postby FlorianB » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:17 pm

Hello,

To say it simply: I would be happy if we could install it with a one liner without days of work ;-)

For differents reasons (company policy or technical), we have to keep the existing base, and there was an installer built for the iso, some shell script for installing perl module, packages including multiple and different softwares (mc-httpd: apache, mpm-itk, apr, apr-utils, php, openssl, curl and probably one other I forgot recompiled together). So to keep that and progress, we have to analyse existing, redo newer version trying to improve each occurences.

So we will publish an ISO. When ? I don't know. All i know is we are working with KVM and we already created a version (call it alpha) of the VM we deploy each time we use it so KVM Vm will be ready first and VMWare HyperV should follow. After that (or at the same time), we'll publish for our professionnal and probably everyone a migration script to migrate from MC Squeeze to MC Jessie. The iso will need more work as an installer has to be added (to install packages, make partitions, launch shell script for all requirements etc...).

Again, I'm not against an ISO, simply, most people would prefer to deploy a VM in 5 minutes, or install an AWS or Softlayer instance than download and use the ISO. Next step after VM will be iso, and a bonus step will probably a docker container (I had one, but there was garbage on, and i didn't touch it since one year....)

Regards,
Florian Billebault
MailCleaner Team
derdanilo
How did you hear about Mailcleaner: Search

Postby derdanilo » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:08 pm

The KVM image works for me using Proxmox and other solutions for most setups we manage, but not all of them.
ISO is no priority but a nice to have. Totally fine with me if it comes later.

Most important part from my point of view is that Mailcleaner updates are pushed more or less automatically or via github (similar). So that upgrading the installation is just pressing some button(s), if there is no OS upgrade in place.

When creating the VMware Image, please use the open VMware Tools and not the original VMware tools. Even VMware says that the open tools are the better choice for Linux/Unix systems.
FlorianB
How did you hear about Mailcleaner: job

Postby FlorianB » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:15 pm

Re, I take note about the open vmware tool, i'll study that. Thx
Regards,
Florian

Return to “Updates”