MTA services stopping every day, how to debug?

Problems/questiong regarding daily usage of MailCleaner

Moderators: FlorianB, Pascal, bourgeois, mentor

tijensen
How did you hear about Mailcleaner: Google

MTA services stopping every day, how to debug?

Postby tijensen » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:08 am

Hi! I have MailCleaner 2017.9 (2017090101, fully updated via aptitude) installed as VHD on Hyper-V which has been working fine 6 months, but since last month it got the habit of stopping these services by itself every morning:
- Incoming MTA
- Filtering MTA
- Outgoing MTA
- SpamHandler daemon

With that, no mails come in on any domain. Manually starting these services, or just rebooting, will fix the problem, mails starts popping in, all is fine. 3GB RAM, Memory status = 50%, Disk status = 50%, Load < 1.0. RAM never used more than 2GB, Disk was never higher than 42%.

So how should I best debug this? In Windows, I'd look into Event Viewer for trouble, but how can I best do that in this Debian server?
I have WinSCP and can browse all log files in /var/mailcleaner/log. I look into the log files but can't see a cause for trouble.
I also have SysLog set up to send syslog entries to my Windows workstation in Kiwi SysLog, but it only logs normal mail/spam activities.

I did get the idea of moving the server to a physical machine, but since it did work perfectly for a long time, I'm thinking it is something else.

How can I see why the services stopped?

Hoping for help,

Thomas
cglmicro
How did you hear about Mailcleaner: google

Re: MTA services stopping every day, how to debug?

Postby cglmicro » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:43 am

I did get the same problem 2 days ago for the first time on one of my 2 nodes running 2018.x

I'm curious for the cause of your trouble.

Have you tried to disable the update4mc in the daily front that should run around 2 AM? You will see if it's an updating issue.
mrngilles
How did you hear about Mailcleaner: Travail

Postby mrngilles » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:08 am

Hi,
It is indeed an updating issue.
Try launching the updater manually using

Code: Select all

/root/Updater4MC/updater4mc.sh
tijensen

Postby tijensen » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:51 am

I now ran updatermc4.sh:
- It downloads tons of stuff, then "mc-exim is already the newest version. 0 upgraded etc.".
- Then, "dpkg: error processing package clamav-base (--configure)". We don't use or have that feature in MC.
- It continues with "dpkg: error processing package clamav (--configure): dependency problems - leaving unconfigured"
- "Errors were encountered while processing: clamav-base, clamav-freshclam, clamav". As expected.

I now see the cause of the problem.
- The script "updater4mc.sh" stops the involved services.
- The script "updater4mc.sh" should always run the other script "updates/tolaunch.always", as that will restart the services.
- However, "updater4mc.sh" ends prematurely because dpkg returned an error processing updating clamav, which I don't have.

I tried to uninstall clamav using apt, but it fails because clamav is not configured...
Later, I will see if I can configure clamav and then disable it.

In any case, "updater4mc.sh" should restart its services, even if there was an error...
It should also send an email to me with an error report, but I don't know how to set that up :)
kmv
How did you hear about Mailcleaner: googling

Postby kmv » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:35 am

tijensen

Postby tijensen » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:16 am

I was busy fiddling with lots of different things trying get MC fixed, but then suddenly it fixed itself!
Now all services are happy, thanks for the updates.

Return to “Usage”