How do I quarantine spam content emails without delivery?

Problems/questions regarding the MailCleaner configuration

Moderators: FlorianB, Pascal, bourgeois, mentor

Pentangle
How did you hear about Mailcleaner: Googling

How do I quarantine spam content emails without delivery?

Postby Pentangle » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:36 pm

Hi there,

Currently spam emails are quarantined correctly, but when a spammer sends an email with a virus the virus is stripped and the spam sent to the user with "attentionvirus.txt" as the replaced file.

How do I configure things so that the entire email is quarantined instead?

Also, can I make this change on a per-domain basis?

Thanks,
Mike.
mentor
How did you hear about Mailcleaner: I work at MC

Re: How do I quarantine spam content emails without delivery

Postby mentor » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:22 pm

Hi Pentangle,

known viruses are by default silently dropped. You can uncheck this option in Configuration > Content protection > Anti-virus.
Yes, there is possible configuration by domain. You have to configure your domain to "quarantine" mode in Configuration > Domains > MyDomain.tld and select Preference. Then, change your "Action on spams" to "quarantine". Your viruses will be stored in Content quarantine not in Spam quarantine.
You may also want to send notices to an administrator when a virus is detected. This may be done with the "Send notices to: " in Configuration > Content protection > Global Settings.

Regards,
MailCleaner Team.
Pentangle

Postby Pentangle » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:29 pm

Hi,

Just coming back to this question. I already have the setting set to "quarantine" - which means that whilst the email gets quarantined in the content protection section, the end user gets an email at the time with the 'attentionvirus.txt' file.

How do I ensure that all of these emails with 'attentionvirus.txt' are not sent, but that the user is notified in a daily quarantine digest that the emails have been quarantined there (as would happen for spam)?
toothycardus
How did you hear about Mailcleaner: Google

Postby toothycardus » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:04 pm

Pentangle wrote:Hi,

Just coming back to this question. I already have the setting set to "quarantine" - which means that whilst the email gets quarantined in the content protection section, the end user gets an email at the time with the 'attentionvirus.txt' file.

How do I ensure that all of these emails with 'attentionvirus.txt' are not sent, but that the user is notified in a daily quarantine digest that the emails have been quarantined there (as would happen for spam)?

The system doesn't allow for this as end users are not smart enough to handle the ability to release viruses to themselves.
Pentangle

Re: How do I quarantine spam content emails without delivery?

Postby Pentangle » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:57 pm

I don't necessarily need them to release their own quarantined attachments. What I DO need is for every piece of spam with an attachment (such as today's deluge of javascript attachments) NOT to create and send an email to each recipient just saying "attentionvirus", as that then defeats the purpose of the spam filter being in the way.

i.e. if the "attentionvirus" info was available in each user's digest then they could contact us if they wanted the attachment, but otherwise they wouldn't be disturbed when they received a virus-infected email.
toothycardus

Postby toothycardus » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:42 am

As far as I am aware MailCleaner in its current form doesn't allow for this, currently the attenionvirus.txt acts as the notifier for the end user to see if they want the attachment/message. You cold write custom rules to catch the messages as spam also.
FlorianB
How did you hear about Mailcleaner: job

Postby FlorianB » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:00 am

Hello, When i have some time (after this week probably), i'll post a code block of commercial edition to drop JS and JS in archives at SMTP time.
PS: Yes, the community is a bit late, we wait after the Debian Jessie migration to correct that.
Best regards,
Florian Billebault
MailCleaner Team
kinox
How did you hear about Mailcleaner: google

Postby kinox » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:21 pm

It would be nice to have a solution for this. The notifications for the users are worst than the spam/viruses. we get lots and lost of infected email and the attenionvirus.txt notification is driving us crazy.

Regards
toothycardus

Postby toothycardus » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:38 pm

you could enable Drop known viruses silently, might help a bit
spambox
How did you hear about Mailcleaner: google

Postby spambox » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:13 pm

/usr/mailcleaner/etc/mailscanner

edit MailScanner.conf_template

Change 'Deliver Cleaned Messages' to 'no'

Save, and restart MailScanner

/usr/mailcleaner/etc/init.d/mailscanner restart

Please note this is not a MailCleaner feature, although creating an interface to manage it would be :)

Return to “Configuration”