Do i need to public ip?

Problems/questions regarding MailCleaner installation

Moderators: Pascal, mentor, FlorianB, bourgeois

Running
How did you hear about Mailcleaner: web

Do i need to public ip?

Postby Running » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:00 am

Does mail cleaner needs a dedicated IP ?
I already have something listening on port 443 and 80... so the web interface is not useful for client outside the network to get to the spam quarantaine.
TKS
uncltom
How did you hear about Mailcleaner: I dont remember probably google?

Re: Do i need to public ip?

Postby uncltom » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:01 am

Usually it needs a public IP address. You’ll need a static public IP address to point the mx records to. I have found a nice way to do it is in the Amazon cloud. You can get a public ip and hosting for about $200 per year. This way if my local server/isp is down I still get mail held in mailcleaner for several days until I get my local problem fixed.
cglmicro
How did you hear about Mailcleaner: google

Postby cglmicro » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:24 am

uncltom wrote:Usually it needs a public IP address. You’ll need a static public IP address to point the mx records to. I have found a nice way to do it is in the Amazon cloud. You can get a public ip and hosting for about $200 per year. This way if my local server/isp is down I still get mail held in mailcleaner for several days until I get my local problem fixed.

Hi Uncltom. Can you be more specific about what I should look for at Amazon? I've tried to find what to order but I was lost ! Any link for us if I want to deploy MC Beta with the image from the West coast that you mentioned in the feedback thread ?
uncltom

Postby uncltom » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:25 am

I login to https://aws.amazon.com and sign in with my normal Amazon login.
There may be some stuff to fill out for your account. Once inside look under compute and click EC2.
Once inside you will see your username in the upper right. To the right of that is the region. Mine says Oregon, you will need to select that to find the image.

To find the ami under images on the left pane click AMIs.
Next to the search box select Public images and search for ami-5ec9c227

Let me know if you still have issues.
FlorianB
How did you hear about Mailcleaner: job

Postby FlorianB » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:25 pm

Hello,
And to get a static public IP assignable to your EC2, i suppose you'll need to order an Elastic IP too and assign it to the MailCleaner EC2 image.
Regards,
Florian
cglmicro

Postby cglmicro » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:20 pm

Cool.
Do you suggest a VM like a T2.MEDIUM (vCPU=2, RAM=4, Instance storage=EBS ONLY) with security open (SSH=my ip, SMTP | HTTP | HTTPS | SMTPS = Anywhere) ?
After that I only need to add an Elastic IP and to associate it to my instance ?
If I look in your instance, I see that BASE SYSTEM > NETWORK SETTINGS > ETH0 ifi disabled for both IPv4 and IPv6; is that normal ? If not, I don't know where to find the NETWORK MASK and GATEWAY of my ELASTIC PUBLIC IP; any clues where to fin this since I didn't subscribe to a service plan and I can't open a technical support ticket ?

It's hard to know the price with EC2; I hope it won't ruin me!
uncltom

Postby uncltom » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:25 am

Yes I am using a T2 small instance. My price runs around $40 per month USD. You can get a lot cheaper if you buy a year or more in advance. We didn’t have the money to do that this go around.

When you click on the virtual instance in the middle bottom section it has the local ip and the public ip. Once this is setup with an A record pointing to it you can apply to have the reverse dns setup by Amazon. The mailcleaner instance gets an ip by dhcp to the Amazon internal network. Amazon has nat setup between the private ip and the public ip.

I set my ssh so it can only be accessed by my IP address. Whenever my ip changes I log in to the Amazon portal and change the ip ssh will connect to. This way I don’t have people trying to brute force my ssh.

As always use the bind dns server built in mailcleaner to resolve dns so your mailcleaner doesn’t get banned from spamhaus etc...
Running

Postby Running » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:12 am

Sorry I was not clear
I do have a external ip. But port 80 -and 443 are forwarded to other server
I can't seem to get to the web page of mail cleaner to login for user to check quarantine
cglmicro

Postby cglmicro » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:28 am

Running wrote:Sorry I was not clear
I do have a external ip. But port 80 -and 443 are forwarded to other server
I can't seem to get to the web page of mail cleaner to login for user to check quarantine

What if you configure your router for external (public) port 81 and 444 to NAT to internal (private) 80 and 443 ? Anything left would be to modify the URL in the settings for http://www.yourFQDN.com:444 in the GUI (and possibly in a template file or two check with Florian) ?
Running

Postby Running » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:08 pm

Yes that is what i would like to do but cant find where to change the listening port ( and i am not so good with commmand line l :cry: )
cglmicro

Postby cglmicro » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:52 pm

uncltom wrote:Yes I am using a T2 small instance....

It's working A1 !! Thanks. Now I want to play with cluster, and I want my second instance in another region. I've tried to COPY your AMI to CANADA-CENTRAL (or North Virginia could also be fine), but I receive an error since I don't have enough permission on this image.

2 questions:
a) does it cost something to have an AMI waiting to be deployed ?
b) how can I upload an AMI to this region; or how can I copy yours from OREGON to another region ?
uncltom

Postby uncltom » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:06 am

cglmicro wrote:
uncltom wrote:Yes I am using a T2 small instance....

It's working A1 !! Thanks. Now I want to play with cluster, and I want my second instance in another region. I've tried to COPY your AMI to CANADA-CENTRAL (or North Virginia could also be fine), but I receive an error since I don't have enough permission on this image.

2 questions:
a) does it cost something to have an AMI waiting to be deployed ?
b) how can I upload an AMI to this region; or how can I copy yours from OREGON to another region ?

I’d love to say I have an answer to the second question but I don’t... I’ve never tried. The first question I can answer... I pay about $5 per month to host the AMI.
Running

Postby Running » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:21 pm

Guys, maybe start a new tread since it as nothing to do with my question ;)
Surely i am not the only one wit one 1 ip and no port 80/443 used
I am waiting if someone could help to finalise my test server
tks
FlorianB
How did you hear about Mailcleaner: job

Postby FlorianB » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:49 pm

Hello running,
You're right another thread could be useful here but:
cgl said:
What if you configure your router for external (public) port 81 and 444 to NAT to internal (private) 80 and 443 ?

And you answered that you don't know how to change port and you re not so good with command line.
Here, he was talking about routing, so you should open port in your Firewall/Router: example:
81 from external to 80 on IP of your MailCleaner
and 443 from external to 444 on IP of your MailCleaner
For this, you need no command line at all but the configuration page of your router and almost no network knowledge :D
Regards,
Florian Billebault
MailCleaner Team
cglmicro

Postby cglmicro » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:01 pm

Hi uncltom.

I tried to change my T2.SMALL to a T2.MEDIUM by dissociate IP and volume fro the SMALL to attach them to the MEDIUM. It booted but I had no SSH access to the VM to my Elastic IP address.
I revert back to my small and still not able to connect. If I ask Amazon to see a screenshot, I see that MailCleaner wait for me at the login screen.
I can't connect to it from the Java console either, since it's also trying to access to the public IP, that is also not answering to my pings like my Elastic IP.

I had trouble with this beta in the past where the ETH0 was down and I had to up it manually, but when it happened, the VM was local on my lan so it was possible to access the console to UP the connection.

Is my VM lost, or do you know a way to access the console with EC2?

Florian@: Is there a way to add a fail safe in this version to try to UP the eth0 at regular interval when MC detect it's down?

Return to “Installation”